Wednesday, April 17, 2013

On the Run

I need to get much better about posting, I mean, its not like I don't have the time, comes more from being lazy.  This week, another tragedy happened....there was a bombing at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  I mean honestly, what is wrong with people these days??  First of all I am a "runner".  I put that in quotes because as of late, it is not something I have done too much of.  I played college soccer and have been doing  half marathons since the summer I graduated, I think it is ok for me to take a little break!

We have made running a family thing in my family.  I got my dad hooked and it was a trickle down from there.  We are all participating in some capacity in the Carle Clinic Race in Champaign in a couple weeks.  I am looking forward to doing my first marathon relay and enjoying some fun times with family.   While everything is fun and exciting, I hate that from now on, runners may be afraid.  Afraid of what will happen to them as they approach the finish line or cross a certain mile marker.  I just don't understand it.  Why are people so horrible?  I feel like I was brought up to believe people, in general were good, and the bad ones started good.  I am learning now, as I approach 30 that, sadly, people are bad.  The good ones are hard to find.  I am lucky enough to have tons of good people in my life and I am so thankful for that.  Isn't there enough bad in this world that we can't control?
Family Pre-Race

Obviously, the deaths and injuries are the worst part about this whole situation.  I cannot imagine what the father of the 8 year old boy that died is having to deal with emotionally....I actually would prefer not to think about it.  As I sat and watched replay after replay, one thing I noticed was that the first bomb went off in the middle of all the flags representing the different countries that runners come from to run this race. This event is supposed to bring nations together regardless of what is going on in the world. 
 The Boston Marathon is a chance for people, real people, to be at the top of their athletic field and they travel from all over.  Yes, some may be Olympians or the best from their countries but some may be a guy like my future brother-in-law and his friends.  They love to run and because of that,  become one of the best.  To even qualify is an amazing fete in and of itself but I cannot imagine what people feel as they cross the finish and know that they competed with the best of the best, in the world.   I only run half marathons at this point and in discussions, people say "Would you ever do a full?  Would you ever try to qualify?"  In the running world, you ask that question and everyone would know what you are talking about.

I will tell you, that I will run and continue to do races and trust the amazing people in charge of keeping me safe.  I will put faith and hope in our government that they will find the sick person that did this and punish them to the fullest extent of the law.  I refuse to let bad people dictate what I will or will not do with my life!
Dad finishing his first Marathon, Miami


Until Next time,
Eat, Drink and Be Mary



Family Post Race

No comments:

Post a Comment