Wednesday, August 17, 2011

SAY CHEESE!!

I am going to start by saying this post is not designed to offend anyone that takes or has taken engagement photos. The beauty of this blog is that it is my opinion and if you don't like it, don't read it:) I am currently at the point in my life that people are getting married what seems like every weekend. While I am a huge fan of documenting this process, I personally do not understand "engagement photos". I know they make nice "Save the Date" cards or great announcement photos for local papers but is it really a necessary expense?? I understand that many photographers include them in wedding packages and that is all fine and dandy. I guess what I struggle with the most is the need to be so edgy and artistic with a photo that is really about 2 people being in love.

When I am browsing (stalking) people's engagement pictures, I often find myself wondering, are these two getting married or walking the plank?? I don't understand the scowl...or squinty eyes. To me they don't look happy, they look constipated. I also don't understand the "Hey Groom, look over my shoulder to the left and Bride, why don't you look straight down at your fancy new shoes." What is the message with that picutre?? In my opinion, engagement photos should represent the couple...who they are together. If I ever get engagement pictures taken, I want them to look like US....let me just tell you, if you see my future husband and I frolicking through a field of flowers....we have issues. The last place you will ever find me is in a coffee shop at 6 AM because I don't drink coffee and I feel like that is a common background for said photos.

My good friend Jessica and her BF are big time golfers, if they were to get married, I feel like you could throw them in plaid shorts and a collared shirt and follow then around for a day on the course. I think those would be amazing photos...reading a put, high fiving after a good shot, real pictures! My favorite photos from weddings are the picture from the ceremony and reception. The pictures of the groom's reaction as the bride walks in or the pictures of the couple dancing! The photographer is able to capture real, non staged emotions. I feel like engagement photos should depict the same image, this is who WE are, goofy smiles, silly faces and all. The thing is, I bet 99% of all couples that get engagement photos could go back through their digital cameras or photo albums and find pictures that are just as nice as engagement phots.

Again, this is my opinion, I am not knocking the work of photographers because let's be honest, a lot of the photos are amazing. I also understand that these photos are very important to a lot of people....I just don't get it. Maybe someone can shed some light on it for me...

That is all,
Eat, Drink, and Be Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment